Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The August 23rd Fundraiser...or not...

So, I'm sure some of you are wondering: "wasn't there supposed to be a GTTP winetasting this Saturday? Why didn't I get an invitation? Does Jessica think my money isn't good enough for her?"
...I assure you that is not the case.

For those of you who have not heard the saga...I had a place in mind and was having trouble hearing back from the guy in charge, who we'll call Vinnie. I went back and forth and at many points had been assured that the space was booked and that we were good to go (hence my mention of it in the last newsletter) and then, when I finally Vinnie on the phone (and that was VERY difficult to do), I was told (a week and a half before the winetasting) that the venue wasn't available and that they'd have to do the winetasting another time. Pissed doesn't begin to describe it.

So I spent a couple of days composing my angry retort in my head and BFitW (that's best fiance in the world, for those of you not hip to the abbreviations of the kids these days - OK, I made it up but the title still applies), BFitW spent several days making calls and figuring out a way to do the winetasting somewhere else and with some other distributors. The decision we came to was that we're going to push the winetasting to September 20th. The show will be in its opening weekend and, though it would be good to have that money now, I think there will be better attendance at both the show and the fundraiser if they happen in conjunction with each other.

But, the saga does not end there. Two days ago, I get a call from the original venue - this time from a different guy - we'll call him Foley. He asks me if we're on for Saturday. After a bit of spluttering and a few what the hecks (though, I assure you "heck" was not the word racing through my head) I said that I had been told by Vinnie that it wasn't available and so I had had no choice but to cancel it. So Foley tells me, "yeah, we fired Vinnie and the venue was available the whole time."

So, not to sound all valley girl or anything (damn, I'm dating myself with that comment) but I'm totally bummed. It's too late to arrange for the wine tasting this weekend (aside from the fact that I'm not sure I can get the necessary 30 people to the event in 4 days time) I have already scheduled rehearsals for all day on Saturday. And, there's no other weekend before the show opens when we're not rehearsing, or out of town or both. So basically it means I'm out a big fundraiser that was supposed to happen during the rehearsal period. Very frustrating! And I need to talk to Foley and see if there's another time that we can do something.

It's just a big bummer. Not tragic or anything. Not unrecoverable, but seriously a bummer. This is my bummed face:


: (

(yeah, I know. It's not very original, but it totally captures my feeling when I think of what could have been)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alas... Although you are bummed, here is my happy face -- :) -- that we might actually be able to attend the wine tasting in addition to the play on the 20th! And might even, perhaps, be able to bring some other folks along.

I'm still trying to figure out that whole weekend -- it's going to be a little crazy -- but I can't even tell you how psyched I am that this will (knock on wood) work out.

Sorry that that's not exactly your feelings at the moment, but here's hoping that you and Foley will be able to do some business in the future, and in the meantime, I'm going to be gearing up for some wine!

(Oh, wait -- what happens if everyone who attends Saturday night is drunk? Do we need to be on our best behavior? That's no fun.)

Love,

Your non-playwright sis