Sunday, April 6, 2008

How I got here...cont. (ok, so maybe you will need can goods for this story)

You see, I have been really spoiled by my family in this realm. My parents are both college professors and they both love their work. They love the atmospheres they work in. They love teaching. They're really good at it. And, for better or worse, I don't think either of them have any idea what it is like to get to that Sunday night before heading to the day job and think to yourself, I would honestly rather stick a pen in my eye than have to go to work tomorrow - I mean, pen-in-the-eye is a legitimate reason to miss work, right? ...all I mean to say by all of this is that I grew up thinking it was perfectly right and good to love what you do for a living. In fact, I grew up believing that you should aim for that - love what you do. And my parents, god love 'em, have absolutely supported my pursuit of this dream.

So I came to NY and started directing. I have had many day jobs - waitress, receptionist, admin asst., executive asst., office manager, massage therapist - and all the while I have been directing. Lots of little shows - most original works - at all different theaters around the city. And they'd gone pretty well. My family and friends have come to see them, and if they are to believed, I really am a rather good director. But I never wanted to produce. It's just not something I ever wanted to do. The questions a producer has to deal with - the logistics of raising money and mounting a production - hold no interest to me. It's not creative enough for me. So for years I have resisted producing my own productions. And then I snapped...

No comments: