Sunday, April 13, 2008

Why I Snapped and What I Decided to Do About It

So last Easter (2007), I finally just got fed up...Fed up with the day job thing, fed up with the still not having a career I enjoy or am meant to do thing, just generally fed up. A few years ago I directed a short film, a short film I still hope to return to one day, and it went really well and the end product is great, but I don't know how to go from a short film that I paid for with my credit card to a full length movie that I somehow raise a million dollars for. And, for years in New York, as I mentioned, I have directed these shows, which usually had a 4 night run and which only friends and family came to see. So when I snapped, I decided it was time to move it up a level, make this directing thing happen once and for all or give it up.

So I picked a project, a GREAT project - a series of one acts that my sister, Camilla, wrote and actually put together an actual budget and decided to try to raise some money, have a long run (at least three weeks), and try to get reviewed - try to get some buzz and end up parlaying this into a career. And, the more I thought of it, the more sense it made to start an actual company, get a federal tax id number, and have a base, from which to really launch the rest of my professional life. Forget that I had no IDEA how to do that. As the Nike commercials say, the best way to figure something out is to just do it, right? I knew I'd still need a day job, probably for a couple of years. But at least I wouldn't be devoting all of this time to something that is there for a weekend, and then is over and goes nowhere.

So, through much bumbling around, I figured it out, registered the business name, applied to the IRS for a Federal Tax ID Number, opened a business bank account and figured it out. Hell, I even figured out how to get a website up and running. See it here at www.goingtotahitiproductions.com. And then I found a fiscal sponsor...

No comments: